Friday, April 26, 2013

Moments of Clarity

Dear Neighbor,

Which we barely are. I had wanted to be friends, saw a shared experience of enchantment laid out before us.  Warm, laughing pizza nights and afternoon walks.  And excellent conversations.

Thank you for telling me that you are Bipolar.  When I found out in September, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  To cut you some slack.  But now, I have found that EVERYTHING has been rationalizations on my part.

I have never tried harder to be friends with anyone.  Gentle and generous.  Willing to silently be there.  And I thought I was reading you well.  Well enough anyway.  (Even at this moment, I have no sense if you are in a better phase now, or if you have always been fine.)

I just realize that I have been giving this entire time.  And you have given me nothing.  At first, I said it was fine that it was emails.  And then you didn't have to give me presents back, but I could give art and just accept your appreciation.  INvite you to places, without expecting an invitation back.  Even though I knew you had the pizza thing.  Or coffee.

How you are in denial.

(I will now step away.  I wrote the above after coffee & before a proper meal.  I took a nap and now feel completely calm -despite hearing that the terrorists were planning to drive (from Watertown to Times Square) and do more bombing)

Goodbye again.  Best of everything to you, but I don't believe we want the same things out of a friendship.  I want someone who wants to enjoy me for who I am, especially in person.  And a person who makes an effort to care/check in on my mental health.


No comments:

Post a Comment