Friday, May 3, 2013

You are the most complex language

Once Mrs. Byrne taught us
What a cypher was
Cypher on the snow
It could stand for Zero
Or a puzzle

I wrote a series of letters
Which did not repeat until
After a very long sequence
Remanding patience
Of an 8th grade teacher
Who had a pile of challenges in front of her

And who probably wanted nothing more than more coffee and a hot bath
I was her first

"What am I going to do when I get home?"

My Mother's crumpled face
The deciphered note in familiar red ink
"Drink poison"

--
And now you
Months after The Incident
By now, I would have thought you
Could have told me
About your reaction
About the breakdown soon after
And the change in meds
And why you turned Cold again
And why you can't leave the house
Without her
Anymore

Or maybe you've given up on me
Maybe I'm the meddling kid
Who wanted to yank the sheet from the ghost
Maybe you never wanted me in the first place
Or are sick of me
Or maybe you have forgotten the whole thing

I have no data from you

Cannot even imagine what an easy friendship with you would look like
I go to your door
Just as blank as a year ago
Expecting Rape or a kiss
Or conversation
(Not the Moody Blues, I wish I hadn't given them to you)

You are a country I am banned from
I should banish you from my mind
Forget that Kenya ever existed
No changing of my passport will get me in
--
May 3
How to fall in love with the Moon
1. Do not be put off by the cratered Head look
2. The glow is a reflection, so make sure that you are always beaming. And when you can't, at least try not to be argumentative.
3. There is something seductive about the distance, about the longing. Don't make that the main focal point of your relationship. Things will get awkward when he finally sits in your living room.
4. The craters actually look unattracrive up close.
5.there is something to be said for being an orb. No exercises required to keep up with flabby arm fat. No arms.
6. A strange Gravity pulls at the tides of the oceans. You are 98% water
7. The night of the full moon may be the only night he really seems present. He's still there the rest of the time, hiding, shy, a fingernail of his former self.
8. He's generally gone in the morning, unless he tries to linger. But he's only sporadically successful at it. The sun quickly steals the show, always remember how much you like the underdogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment