Thursday, June 13, 2013

Saw You Today (Attempt at Poetry)

I saw you today
In the dark hallway
It has been raining for days now.

You didn't see me
There isn't much light in our hallway
I think you looked sad.

Yesterday, I saw Superman, Man of Steel, the movie.
He's an alien with magical powers.
His parents told him to focus and believe in himself.

Each body reacts uniquely.
This funny world of harsh summer days
and off-key tones in music and voices.

You were banging the laundry cart out of the sticky threshold
Neighbors at the elevator
At the laundry room
At the door
On the street

You don't look up,
but I do.

You are the old man,
"How did that happen?"

I still see the small boy
and the heart shaped smile.
I believe that one day, you will look up.
Again.

The world reminds me of you.
Russia, a phrase in Dutch, religious conflict.
Sunburns, wrecking balls, accents.
Iridescence.

The long wall of shadow
down the hallway.
 High gloss paint.
The dream I had of you, a series of portraits.
And the photos you sent me.

And today, you are sad.
And curled in on yourself.
Barely able to struggle out the door.
Dirty laundry keeping you in the building.

I cannot say hi.
You can come to me at any time.
I am always confused,
but ready to give you the benefit of the doubt.

And I will smile.

I still think of you everyday.
Long past the time I even image you remembering me.
I say a prayer everytime I pass your window.
About acceptance or happiness.

Your song echoes with me.
==
More than a month since we last exchanged good emails. Not counting seeing you guys in the hallway.  And you leaving your car door open.

I miss you.

I'm being patient.
Even if we never talk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment