Friday, December 14, 2012

This Too Shall Pass

Dear E,

I'm so sorry that you will grow up with the phrase "school shooting" as part of your vocabulary.

Just heard on the radio that they are reporting that there are 27 dead in Connecticut, 18 of them being children.  (I'm crying as I write this).

The first time I heard about this, I think I was in college.  It was such a shock, that anyone would be so frustrated and think that this is a way to get some kind of a revenge or whatever they think it would solve.

I wish I could teach you how to deal with all sorts of negative feelings.

The only advice I can give, is something that was give to me by one of my personal heroes.  (PT, that blonde guy on my favorite tv show.  He wrote it in my writing notebook.  I have it framed.)

THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

When you are sad, angry, upset, terrified, worried, stressed or whatever else will come to you in the course of becoming a human-just know that it is all temporary.

Don't do anything you can't take back.  Don't try to hurt yourself or others (more on this later!) and mostly, DON'T GIVE UP.

(Of course, you may realize that this means that all the good stuff will pass too.  Hold the good stuff in your heart.  Take pictures with your mind of the smiles of all of your friends.  Keep them with you at all times.  Work hard to make the Happy Moments as real as the Sad ones.  The sad ones won't need your help, they are strong enough)

I feel sometimes like I am responsible for you.  There are some cultures that say if you save someone's life, you are forever responsible for them. I don't know how I can help you, I can't protect anyone-least of all, myself.  This is why I'm collecting all these pictures of life in these moments.

These Happy Moments.  (They've helped me to get centered.  Hopefully they can help you too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment